Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Experience of a Lifetime and it's Only Week One

Wow. One week down and I've already learned and experienced so much.  I figure the best way to recap and share with you all what I've been through in this first week is to just simply go through different themes that I've encountered.

Communication Without Verbal Language

The primary languages in Kolkata are Bengali and Hindi.  I know very little Bengali, so this definitely poses a challenge in working with the children and other people of Kolkata.  The Masis, which are the women who work in the mother houses long term, know very little english.  They'll say "Auntie, change/clean/laundry" or just simply point at things and push you in the direction they wish you to go and perform and unknown chore.  I've found myself standing there sometimes trying to figure out what they are asking me to do, and I can tell that their is a little bit of frustration between the two of us.  My boss at home always tells me "Patience is a virute." I have definitely realized that on this trip.  It has gotten a lot easier as the week has gone on, because now I know what certain Masis expect and I know the chores that I'm expected to do.  

One of the kids that I have developed a relationship with is a seven year old girl named Rosa.  She looks like she is three or four and she acts that way too.  No words can describe how absolutely beautiful she is though.  Rosa has big, dark brown eyes, a smile that instantly makes everyone melt and smile from the inside out, and short black hair.  Rosa has cerebral palsy as well as a mental handicap.  She does not speak, but I have communicated more with her than I thought.  One morning, I walked into the physiotherapy room at Daya Dan, the home that I am working at, and she looked up, saw me, and recognized me.  Her mouth opened into this big, excited smile and she reached her arms out to me.  The time I spend with Rosa consists of smiling at each other, playing peek-a-boo, and making funny noises with my mouth to make her laugh and smile.  I am in awe that I made an impression on this one little girl so early on, and she has already impacted my life.  

My Dream Come True: Pediatric Physical Therapy

Today started out like every other day: Go to the Mother House, catch bus 202, take a rickshaw to Daya Dan, make beds, greet the kids, do laundry on the roof, etcetera.  Little to my knowledge, this day would be one of the most eye opening experiences that I would have.  I walked into the physiotherapy room with two girls, Puja and Sonia, that I have gotten to know pretty well in this past week. When I walked in, I noticed there were two men there that I did not recognize.  I introduced myself and then quickly learned that they were both physical therapists.  One of them invited me to do exercises on my little girl Rosa.  Words cannot do justice to the amazing feeling that I had.  It's like one of those "ah-ha" moments:  I am meant to do this kind of work.  I was suddenly filled with hope, joy, faith, and excitement for the life I have ahead of me.  The obstacles that I will be encountering in applying for physical therapy school, suddenly shrunk to almost nothing.  I have the desire and the drive to get through anything because of working with just two kids.  The physical therapist actually let me do exercises with Rosa on my own, which was absolutely incredible; I helped her to stand, sit, stretched her arms, and then rolled her.  After working with Rosa, I watched him work on another little girl, Gianna. 

I hope you all enjoyed reading this litte tid-bit from my week.  I am still happy and healthy, and I thank God for that everyday.

Namaste,

Bri Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment