Thursday, May 30, 2013

Abandoned Babies, Public Urinals, and Where Are All the Women?


Hello Blog Readers!

          We are nearly entering our second week here in Kolkata and I figured I would give you more glimpses of what we see in our daily travels here. Kolkata can be an extremely overwhelming city and a lot of what we see can be emotionally taxing, especially since there are scenes that do not exist back home. For starters, there is a family who lives outside our hotel. They have a tarp on the sidewalk that transforms into a tent when it is raining and bags of personal items lined up against a tree. The mother hangs up her Saris and the underwear of her 2 children as well as her husbands clothes on a wire next to their little plot of sidewalk.  I have become accustomed to seeing this family everyday and the initial shock of acknowledging that an entire family lives on the street has turned into no shock at all. That is until the other day when I was heading out of my hotel and I only saw the youngest member of the family, a baby no older than a year, by himself on the family's tarp. I looked around to see the other members of the family but saw no one. My heart sank. The child was sleeping peacefully on the tarp in a city full of danger. He could have been ate by a dog, stolen and used as a beggar's tool, or simply roll into the chaotic traffic not far from where he is sleeping. Of all the things I have seen in India, this was one thing I could not turn my head away from. My heart was beating the rest of the walk to Shishu Buvhan as I prepared myself to tell Sister Marguerite who would surely do something. When I arrive, unable to get the image of the child sleeping alone out of my mind, I tell Sister Marguerite only to receive her in a fit of laughter. "Don't touch the child, my dear...you'll get charged with abduction," she says. Shocked and still thinking I about the child, I make sure I hear what Sister Marguerite is saying, that we can do nothing for the child. She replies, "Of course not, they are probably lurking near by waiting for you to take the child so they can accuse you of stealing the child...it happens all the time with tourists." I struggle to accept what she is saying and try to put the image of the child back in mind as I begin my afternoon shift at Shishu Buvhan. What about charges of abandonment? Neglect? Why would my actions be seen as immoral when theirs were life-threatening?  The only consolation I had is that I see the family has returned when I return back to my hotel. I do not know their motivations for leaving the child alone and I can not think of any good ones but I can not tell you how happy and relieved I was to see the child was okay...for today. 
Other things that can be quite shocking to see, but not as frightening as an abandoned baby, are the public urinals. They are these waist-high, blue mosaic walls right smack in the middle of the sidewalk. You know you are nearing one because the smell of urine is pungent in the air as it drains from the mosaic box out onto the street. Only men can use these, if that wasn't inherently obvious, and two of our male travelers have even used them more than once (When in India, right?). Where do the women pee, you may ask. The women, when they do make appearances on the street, must use a pay-and-use toilet scattered throughout the city. I guess that's where the phrase, "Go before you leave the house," originated and why it was always my mom telling me that and not my dad. 
Lastly, I have previously hinted that we do not see as many women in Kolkata as we do men. Some reasons could be that it is only men who drive the taxis and the rickshaws, run the street markets and the fruit markets, and just plain work here in Kolkata. The amount of women I see holding any job position here have been slim to none, with the exceptions of the Sisters, the Mazis at Mother Teresa's homes, and the teachers of Loreto Day School. The women have separate seating on the busses and the Metro (subway), and typically only leave the house for shopping. 
        It is quite a different society here in Kolkata and we are learning more and more each day. As Saint Michael's College MOVE trips are intended, we are bearing witness to many cultural differences and social justice issues and offering service in these areas to make us more knowledgeable when we return. It has been an incredible experience thus far and  I hope all is well back home!

Thanks for reading, 

Mary Varnavides 

No comments:

Post a Comment