Friday, May 29, 2015

Farewell for now, Kolkata

A Buddhist would tell you that if you are capable of good and deep meditation, and that if you are truly able to quiet the mind, nothing can enter your mind unless you let it.

I am not good at quieting the mind. Negative thoughts enter all the time with their bullying voices, judging chants, and hopeless visions. Kolkata is a challenge for even the most devoted Buddhist. Blaring horns, incessant black crows, the screeching of the tin can tram, market hasslers, frivolous construction, the sound of the breaks on the ancient city busses, the constant movement of millions of people everyday- all bruit that constantly enters the mind.  

I can't wait for the day when I can quiet the mind. Only then will I be able to truly live the life I imagine. In service to others. A disciple of Christ. A channel of peace. 

I often think about why I come to Kolkata, why I walk the difficult path that Mother Teresa forged. You can't come to India with the belief that you will change India. You won't. You are, however, capable of being a drop in the bucket, a ripple in the ocean, and, if you are really fortunate, a wave that will bring change. 

It is an honor to live simply, even for just three short weeks, and it is a gift to work for the poor. I need the girls at Shanti Dan far more than they will ever need me. Kolkata will mean more to me than I will ever mean to Kolkata. That is how it is supposed to be. One does not serve for recognition or praise. One serves to find peace- peace in the world, peace in each other, and, perhaps most importantly, peace in ourselves. 

As I depart India today, I am overwhelmed with many emotions. I am sad to leave the group I have grown so close to. It has been my honor to be the student leader of such a remarkable group of individuals, who have chosen to begin their summer vacation serving the poorest of the poor. I am sad to leave the place where I feel the closest to my best self that I have ever been; the closest I have ever been to eliminating the negative thoughts. 

I am, however, eager to begin this next chapter of my life, obtaining my Doctorate as a Nurse Practitioner from Columbia University. I will be receiving an education and pursuing a career that will allow me to travel to the darkest corners of our world and try to bring light. It will also allow me to be exposed to more amazing individuals like the ones of our group. Perhaps, one day, it will even bring me back to Kolkata with some of these amazing individuals.

I am deeply grateful for all who have supported our journey, both now and long after we return. I will continue to pray and work for peace and I hope you will do the same. 


Namaskaar, 

Mary
Student Leader 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment