Friday, June 6, 2014

Musings on Kolkata; Reflecting On Service.

`Volunteering can be very difficult, very humbling, and scatterred with the moments of great joy. 

I have become more patient, as well as developed the ability to be comfortable with having no direction for what to do next.

I can no longer avoid children -they are the next phase in the cycle of poverty (any cycle of oppression). 

I feel more open to and aware of the world around me, as well as compassion toward the people in it. 

Volunteering helps me to learn compassion, practice patience, and feel gratitude. 

Compassion, patience, relaltionships, and awareness of problems that can occur in our own backyard or in other countries have all been strengthen through volunteering. 

The opening of my eyes allowed the healing of my heart. 

It's important to take care of yourself (in more ways than one) so that you can give your all into taking care of others -its okay to take a break! 

It has taught me to not only feel more compassionate towards others but to act out that compassion. 

Once I knew it was broken, and I saw it, I couldn't forget it!



1 comment:

  1. Nice blog post. One should visit Kolkata during the grand Durga Puja ceremony, a perfect time to experience celebratory air of the city. And when it comes to sightseeing, Kalighat Kali Temple, Nicco park, Eden gardens, Howrah bridge are must places to visit in Kolkata.


    ReplyDelete