Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Birthday to Remember

Safe to say, when I found out I would be spending my 20th birthday in Kolkata, I was excited regardless of what I would be doing.  It is also safe to say, that the day did not disappoint, and was indeed the best birthday I think I've ever had.

The day started off with a visit to the Loretto School for girls. The Loretto School was where Mother Teresa got her start in India as a teacher and currently runs programs all over India, empowering women and giving them a chance at an education and a future.  The different programs Loretto runs includes the day school, the rainbow school where street children come to live and go to school where it is safe, the brickfield schools where children of migrant workers can get an education for a year, Barefoot teacher training, and many others.  It is a really wonderful school with a great mission and a powerful message.  During the presentation about the school and the girls and the different programs, a couple different things struck me.  One of these, was when Anita, one of the women that works at Loretto, described the type of education the girls recieve.  She mentioned that while some of the girls' grades are mediocre, what really matters is that they are leaders, and are taught compassion.  According to their philosophy, no education is complete without teaching the student compassion.  Without compassion, their education is only for themselves.  This really struck a chord with me, and it seems like compassion is something that should be added to every school's curriculum.  It was really rewarding to see the schools that we had been fundraising for all year and to see where the money we raised was going and the children and people that it would benefit.  

As the presentation wrapped up and we were graciously brought cold drinks (it was a hot one in Kolkata!), they showed us some of the things that the girls make that they sell.  A couple of sarees were on the table that caught our eye.  I had previously bought a saree at a market and still had no idea how to wear it.  Anita offered to dress one of us without me even asking.  Two of the women dressed me in this beautiful and stunning orange saree with silver beading and a green border.  I've never felt so elegant, while also so sweaty at the same time! Abbey got dressed up in another saree and with Ben wearing a traditional men's shirt, we were complete! It was so fun and a great way to get to know the women, and also a good start to my birthday.  

The afternoon brought Steph, Marlyn, Eddy, Abbey, and I to the Victoria Memorial, a memorial built dedicated to Queen Victoria.  We thought about the irony of a monument built to a colonial queen as we walked around the enormous building that, to us, resembled the US capital building.  The grounds were peaceful and full of trees, flowers and bodies of water.  It was nice to be tourists along with other Indian families, even though we were still asked to be in pictures with some of their children, which is pretty fun if you embrace it!

After we hung out in some shops on Sudder Street for a while, we headed to the rooftops after the sunset for some nice fancy drinks to celebrate my birthday.  The rooftop restaurant allowed a beautiful view of Kolkata from above.  It didn't seem so hot up here, with a nice breeze to dsturb the stagnant air.  While sipping on some smoothies and sprites, we enjoyed each other's company and laughed together, with the Muslim call to prayer echoing in the background and Kolkata twinkling below us.  It was one of my favorite moments from the day.   To simply sit back and be with people who are so caring and thoughtful individuals is such a blessing that I am so thankful for.  After a quick dinner at our favorite Blue Sky restaurant, we headed home.

After such an incredible day, I was dead tired.  But, we still all got together for a reflection of our day's experiences, as we do every evening. It is a wonderful way to decompress and sit together and process everything we had done and seen that day.  It was also the perfect way to end my 20th birthday.

As our final week here begins, it is hard to believe that our time here is almost over.  We have been out all day everyday, soaking up every last bit of Kolkata that we can.  I continue to meet new, amazing people and visit unique and humbling places.  I'm so thankful that I got to spend my birthday in such an amazing place with amazing people.  Here's to hoping our final week is as wonder-filled as the rest of our time here has been.

Namaste,
Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment