Thursday, May 24, 2018

Prem Dan: The Sequel

When I arrived back in Kolkata, I wasn't sure of which Mother Teresa homes I would want to work in this time. I had such a great experience at Prem Dan last time (a home for men and women in need of long-term care), but I thought for the sake of variety I would try somewhere else. I was thinking about working at Daya Dan (a home for young people with physical and mental disabilities) or Nabo Jibon (a home that, from what I understand, is slightly similar to Daya Dan). We weren't registered yet on Monday morning, so we were assigned sites with a one-day guest pass. At first, Brian and I were assigned Nabo Jibon. I thought that would be a good opportunity to experience a new site before we selected our permanent sites the following day. But then, we noticed that the group going to Nabo Jibon had already left, and we were reassigned to Prem Dan for the day.

As we started walking to Prem Dan, memories rushed back into my head from my last visit. This walk is like no other I've ever been on before. It begins very briefly on A.J.C. Bose Road, a very busy and well-known road, before quickly turning onto a narrow and windy alley. The walk continues through roads that are mostly filled with pedestrians--any vehicle larger than a motorcycle isn't going to get anywhere very quickly. Eventually, you cross a busy street to Cobra Burial Ground, an area where there are somewhat more cars. The part of the walk that stands out the most is just before you arrive to Prem Dan. You arrive at Park Circus train station, and instead of crossing the tracks, you walk along them. I can remember the thoughts in my head the first time I did that part of the walk. I was astonished by the amount of people not only walking along the tracks, but living and working too. The last stretch of the walk brings you through a very narrow alley filled with raw meat (a.k.a. meat street). On some days, you even get to see blood running on the ground.

As soon as I walked in to Prem Dan and saw dozens of familiar faces, I knew I was going to stay there for the whole trip. None of the men remember me--I'm just one of who-knows-how-many volunteers that come and go--but their faces have stayed with me, and seeing them reminded me of the lessons I learned working with them two years ago. I wrote a blog post two years ago about a resident who would always ask me to get his wheelchair, and seeing him put a big smile on my face. It wasn't long before I made embarrassing mistakes that had to be corrected by the workers. I love those moments, because it puts me in my place.

My first day back at Prem Dan was exciting because of all the memories it brought me, but it also gave me a fresh start. I've had to reflect on, and talk about, my last trip to Kolkata frequently in order to be a good group leader, but I try not to hold on to that for too long. Going to Prem Dan (and quickly being reminded that I have a lot to learn) showed me that it's time to dive into this new experience. I'm with a great group this year, and I'm excited to make new memories, and learn new lessons not only from Prem Dan, but from the members of my group.

-Nick Rosbrook '18

1 comment:

  1. What a gift to have these fresh eyes with you at Prem Dan and the opportunity not to compare experiences but to deepen your learning of self and service! Sending you lots of love, light, and my dreams of chai, masala lays chips, etc :)... enjoy and take care! Love, sunny

    ReplyDelete